You can use just about any vegetable in your refrigerator to make this delicious low-calorie soup. I use this a lot in the wintertime for lunch or as a snack to quell hunger pains. Filling and low in calories!
- 2-3 cups Water
- 1 can Sliced tomatoes 28oz can w/Italian seasonings
- 1 15 ounce Chicken broth or Vegetable Broth (Low Sodium)
- 1 small Onion chopped
- 2 teaspoons Roasted bottled garlic
- 1 Zucchini sliced
- 1 Yellow crookneck squash sliced
- 1 cup Sliced cabbage sliced and diced
- 2 Celery sliced
- 2 Carrots sliced
- 6 Okra sliced
- 1 cup Mushrooms sliced
Choose 1 of the following starches to add:
- 6 small Red potatoes cut into quarters skin on
- 1 can Beans (butterbeans, black, navy) drained and rinsed Approx. 15 oz
- 1 can White corn drained and rinsed Approx. 15 oz
Herbs and Spices
- Salt to taste
- Pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 1 Bay leaf discard after cooking
- 2 teaspoons Oregano dried
- 1/4 cup Parsley dried or 1 cup of diced fresh parsley
- 1 can Tomato paste *Optional for thicker soup*
- Put all ingredients in a large stockpot. Bring to a boil and then simmer for 45-60 minutes.
- Serve plain or with 1 Tablespoon grated cheese.
Calories: 278kcalCarbohydrates: 62gProtein: 10gFat: 1gSaturated Fat: 1gPolyunsaturated Fat: 1gMonounsaturated Fat: 1gSodium: 440mgPotassium: 2240mgFiber: 11gSugar: 15gVitamin A: 6550IUVitamin C: 69mgCalcium: 148mgIron: 5mg
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!