Turkey Stuffed Peppers with Veggies
Be creative! Add other veggies, use different types of green leafies and different types of mushrooms.
- 4 medium sweet or bell peppers
- 1 lb ground turkey 93% lean
- 1 cup cooked brown or wild rice
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1/2 medium onion chopped
- 2 cups tomatoes chopped
- 1 cup spinach chopped
- 1 cup Mushrooms chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1/4 cup fresh basil leaves chopped
- 1 tbsp fresh oregano leaves
- 1/4 tsp black pepper freshly ground
- salt to taste (optional)
- 1 1/8 cup shredded lowfat cheese
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees
- Slice the tops of the peppers off and hollow out, removing the seeds. Chop the tops.
- Heat large skillet to medium high heat, add oil and once hot, add turkey. Cook for about 3 minutes.
- Add onions, chopped pepper, mushrooms, garlic, herbs and spices. Cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add spinach and tomatoes and reduce heat to simmer. Cook for 5 minutes.
- Spoon mixture in a bowl and mix with 1 cup cheese.
- Stuff the peppers with the mixture. Place the peppers in a baking dish or smaller oven safe skillet and add 1/4 inch water to the bottom of the pan.
- Bake for 15 minutes. Sprinkle remaining cheese on the tops and bake for another 15 minutes.
- Garnish with fresh herbs.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!