This recipe was adapted from the cookbook, Run Fast Eat Slow. The butter is reduced and unsweetened applesauce is used for most of the maple syrup. These muffins freeze well and make an easy breakfast or snack between meals.
- 2 cups almond flour
- 1 cup old-fashioned rolled oats use gluten free if sensitive
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/2 cup currants or raisins (optional)
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp fine sea salt
- 3 eggs beaten
- 1 cup Zucchini grated (about one)
- 1 cup carrot grated (about two)
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter melted
- 4 oz unsweetened applesauce
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Arrange a rack in the center of the oven and preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Line a 12-cup standard muffin tin with paper muffin cups. (Or spray tin with olive oil)
- In a large bowl, combine the almond flour, oats, walnuts, currants or raisins, if using, cinnamon, nutmeg, baking soda, and salt.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the eggs, zucchini, carrot, butter, maple syrup, and vanilla.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients, mixing until just combined.
- Spoon the batter into the muffin cups filling each to the brim.
- Bake until the muffins are nicely browned on top and a toothpick inserted in the center of a muffin comes out clean, about 25 to 35 minutes.
Calories: 2750kcalCarbohydrates: 211gProtein: 90gFat: 191gSaturated Fat: 31gPolyunsaturated Fat: 33gMonounsaturated Fat: 18gTrans Fat: 1gCholesterol: 551mgSodium: 2563mgPotassium: 2271mgFiber: 49gSugar: 92gVitamin A: 23154IUVitamin C: 35mgCalcium: 844mgIron: 20mg
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!