Seasonal Veggie Medley
- 3-4 garlic cloves minced
- 1 large onion coarsely chopped
- 2 bunches greens washed and chopped into bite size pieces
- 1/4 cup Broth Chicken or Vegetable, low sodium
- 1 15 oz Black Bean drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup Your favorite cheese-shredded version
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- In a large sauté pan, add olive oil and garlic on moderate- high heat for 1-2 minutes, then add onions, turn heat down to moderate and stir frequently until onions are caramelized about 7-10 minutes.
- While onions are cooking, wash and chop greens into bite size pieces.
- Tender greens like spinach will need less time to cook than hardier greens such as collards so put them in different piles to cook in a progression.
- Take out onions and place in a casserole dish.
- Add broth and first group of greens, saute until slightly wilted. Saute most tender greens first, take out when done and add to casserole dish. Next, cook hardier greens and add to casserole dish until all greens are cooked.
- Add black beans to the greens, cover with grated cheese, mix together well.
- Heat in microwave for a minute or two until cheese melts and dish is heated through.
- Variations: Instead of garlic cloves, use 3-6 green garlic stems (white stalk to 1 inch of green), minced Use any kind of beans, peas, or greens you like. Can also add cooked meat.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!