Coconut Red Bean Soup
A delicious simple soup inspired by a national dish of Tanzania in Africa. This dish is traditionally served with Ugali, a corn flour porridge and also delicious served with bread and salad!
- 1 15 1/2 oz can red beans, drained and rinsed or 3/4 c. dry beans, cooked
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 small onion chopped
- 1/2 green pepper chopped
- 1/2 tsp curry powder
- 1/2 cup chopped tomatoes canned if not in season
- 1/2 tsp salt optional
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 cups unsweeetened coconut milk
- If using dried beans, soak in large bowl, covered with 2-3 inches of water overnight. Drain, place in pot, cover with fresh water and bring to boil. Reduce heat to simmer, stirring occasionally until desired tenderness is reached, for 1-2 hours.
- In a pot or large skillet, heat oil on medium high and sautee onions and peppers for 2 minutes until soft.
- Stir in spices and tomatoes, cooking for another 2 minutes.
- Add beans and coconut milk. Reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes.
Calories: 488kcalCarbohydrates: 12gProtein: 5gFat: 50gSaturated Fat: 34gPolyunsaturated Fat: 2gMonounsaturated Fat: 12gSodium: 692mgPotassium: 591mgFiber: 2gSugar: 3gVitamin A: 187IUVitamin C: 33mgCalcium: 63mgIron: 7mg
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!