Lemony White Beans & Bok Choy
Inspired by a tasteofhome.com recipe, modified to make it vegetarian friendly.
- 1 cup dried white beans
- 5 medium carrots scrubbed and cut into 1/4 inch slices
- 4 cloves garlic 2 coarsely chopped and 2 minced
- 3 sprigs fresh oregano
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 8 oz vegan ground meat
- 2 1/2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 bunches baby bok choy
- 1/3 cup dry white wine
- 2 tbsp lemon juice (juice of 1/2 medium lemon)
- 1/3 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese optional
- Rinse beans and add to pot with 3 cups water and salt. Bring to boil. Reduce heat to simmer. Add 1 chopped carrot, chopped garlic cloves and 2 sprigs of oregano. Cook for 1-2 hours until beans reach desired tenderness. Drain beans, saving 1/4 cup broth.
- Trim off root end of bok choy. Coarsely chop leaves and cut stalks into 1/4 inch pieces.
- In large skillet, heat 2 tbsp oil over medium high temperature. Stir fry crumbled vegan meat for 3-5 minutes until browned and set aside.
- Add remaining oil and stir fry carrots and bok choy stalks for 5-7 minutes until tender but crisp. Add bok choy leaves, garlic and 1/4 cup wine. Cook for 2-5 minutes.
- Stir in vegan meat, beans, chopped oregano, remaining wine and bean broth. Reduce heat and simmer for 3 minutes. Stir in lemon juice.
- Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese and garnish with lemon and oregano sprig.
Calories: 440kcalCarbohydrates: 49gProtein: 25gFat: 15gSaturated Fat: 4gPolyunsaturated Fat: 2gMonounsaturated Fat: 8gCholesterol: 10mgSodium: 804mgPotassium: 1403mgFiber: 13gSugar: 6gVitamin A: 12868IUVitamin C: 11mgCalcium: 348mgIron: 8mg
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!