Caribbean Black Beans
For the quick recipe version, use canned black beans and add the the ginger with the sauteed onions, etc...
- 1 cup dried black beans (or 1 15 oz can, rinsed beans)
- 1 small onion chopped and divided in half
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1/2 tsp salt (to taste)
- 1 tbsp minced or grated ginger
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp minced or grated turmeric
- 3/4 tsp ground allspice
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 medium orange juiced (about 1/3 cup)
- 1/4 cup green pepper chopped
- 1/4 cup red, yellow and/or orange peppers chopped
- 1 tbsp cooking sherry, dry
- Rinse dried beans and place in pot. Add water, allowing enough to cover beans with 2 inches. Add garlic, ginger, onions and salt.
- Bring to boil over high heat. Boil for 2 minutes. Reduce heat to simmer, cover and cook for about 2 hours, stirring occasionally. Cook till desired tenderness is reached. Older beans will take longer.
- Once beans are cooked, remove from heat.
- Sautee remaining onions, peppers, turmeric, black pepper, and allspice in olive oil over medium high heat for about 2 minutes until onions are translucent.
- Strain beans and add to sautee along with orange juice and sherry. Stir to heat evenly.
Calories: 360kcalCarbohydrates: 53gProtein: 15gFat: 11gSaturated Fat: 2gPolyunsaturated Fat: 1gMonounsaturated Fat: 7gSodium: 396mgPotassium: 1215mgFiber: 13gSugar: 7gVitamin A: 552IUVitamin C: 53mgCalcium: 122mgIron: 5mg
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!