Green Lentil Salad
Little lentils cook so much faster than their bigger cousin legumes, peas and beans, that we prepare them often!
- 1 cup green lentils If using smaller lentils, like red or black,cook time is shorter. Older lentils take longer to cook.
- 1 large bay leaf
- 1/2 English cucumber diced
- 1/4 small red onion diced
- 1/3 cup drained, sun-dried tomatoes
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh mint leaves
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 4 cloves garlic finely minced
- 4 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 4 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice (juice of 1 lemon)
- 1 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/4 tsp ground allspice
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 tsp salt optional
- Rinse lentils, place in saucepan with the bayleaf and add 3 cups of water. Bring to a boil, then turn down to simmer and cook until tender for about 25 minutes.
- While lentils are cooking, heat 2 tbsp olive oil in small frying pan, and saute garlic over low heat stirring with cumin, allspice and pepper, until garlic begins to brown, for about 3 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Whisk remaining oil with lemon juice.
- Drain cooked lentils in a colander, rinsing with cold water to cool them.
- Toss all ingredients together in a large bowl and serve at room temperature.
Calories: 227kcalCarbohydrates: 26gProtein: 10gFat: 10gSaturated Fat: 1gPolyunsaturated Fat: 1gMonounsaturated Fat: 7gSodium: 216mgPotassium: 621mgFiber: 11gSugar: 4gVitamin A: 488IUVitamin C: 15mgCalcium: 51mgIron: 4mg
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!